Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sidetracked again!

I hope you enjoyed your Fourth of July holiday weekend. We relaxed with friends, our favorite way to celebrate.
.
On Monday I got back to work, digging and planting the lily garden. Three cheers for Walmart's 50% off sale. There are three heights of lilies. The shorter ones in the front are a pale pink, but they're finished blooming already. The low plants in back and in the front are hostas. When they fill out, this corner should be green and blooming nearly all spring and early summer. The garden is framed by the little Japanese maple on the left and the crabapple tree. Very pleasant, and the cranes look right at home here. Next season I may plant a vine on the trellis, but for now, the cranes rule.

This morning, Tuesday, I went out to finish spreading the mulch but got seriously distracted by the startburst pavers. I bundled off to the farm store for paver base and a tamper and got to work. This is how far I got ... the stones in place on the paver base. I need to get sand to fill in between, and Lloyd promises to stake the frame so it won't shift.
By the time I finished this much, it was getting too hot to mess around outside, so I came inside to work on the kitchen. I got most of the cabinets, ceiling, and woodwork washed, so tomorrow we can begin painting.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful- I envy your Japanese Maple- my zone is too cold for one! The starburst pavers look incredible!! Your yard is going to be amazing- all this hard work will be returned back to you in so much beauty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is going to be fabulous!!! I am going to enjoy watching this work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you. Kim, meet Penny, one of Lloyd's cousins. Penny, click on Kim's link and take a look at her garden. If mine turns out half as great as hers, I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete