Sunday, May 20, 2018

Rain, rain ... *sigh*


After a week or more of rain, the greenery is going gangbusters. This morning I weeded the first section of fence. I think about the long skinny flower bed in terms of fence segments so as not to be overwhelmed. 
There are 10 or 11 sections in the fence. If I do one a day they'll get weeded every 10 days. That's the plan, anyway.
The next photo shows the weeded section plus the three French lavender bushes beneath the bird feeders and the hummingbird feeder, which was moved to the fence. The lavender is growing nicely. In a few weeks it should be a foot or more high and begin producing beautiful, fragrant blossoms. I fell in love with the lavender when we were in France and had some in the Missouri garden. I'm so looking forward to it blooming!

Yes, the feeders are empty. I left them empty to discourage the shack bully pigeons who not only drained the feeders but stomped around beneath them and pretty well killed anything planted there. I've ordered a new feeder, one with a cage around it that is supposed to let in small to medium birds but keep out larger birds and squirrels. If it works well, I'll get a caged suet feeder, one that will keep out the starlings.

This morning I spotted a hummingbird at the feeder. It is maybe not the first one, as the level of nectar has been dropping, but the first one I've laid eyes on. Happy day!
The first section is weeded but not edged.
This view shows the raggedy edge of the flower bed. When I was in Missouri I had a step-on edger that made quick work of tidy edges. When we moved, I bequeathed it to my dear friends as I'd have no need for it in the condo. Well, life intervened. When I moaned that I could not find another -- it is out of production and nowhere to be found -- they generously offered to ship it back to me. Now they are even dearer friends. ☺ Can't wait for it to get here!
As I weed, I need to mulch, but first need to create a clean edge. [Note to self: see if Home Depot will deliver bags of mulch.]
 The next photo shows the weeding that lies ahead ... some areas are very dense with weeds and others not so much. The next section of fence is going to be a headache to weed, but it is supposed to be cooler with no rain tomorrow and the ground will still be relatively soft from the rain. 
On the patio, a new white planter, and along the fence a new birdbath.
The new planter with lavender and white calla lilies that were around the statue in the island. They won't stay here permanently. Not sure where they'll end up.
Now a trip to the island ... I wasn't really happy with the statue being semi-hidden among the pots of calla lilies and ferns. Then I found planters that are designed to to be used on a patio table on either side of the umbrella. Perfect! They will be settled into the pea gravel a bit so the tops will be level with the base. I think rather than adding dirt, I will put in small pots of blooms so they can be changed out as the season and my whims demand.



Just behind the island are the six Rose of Sharon bushes that were transplanted. Three are growing heartily, two are not quite so robust but are bravely leafing out, and then there is this one. It puts out microscopic leaves that seem to be there one day, gone the next. It must still be alive. I'm hoping it is busy putting out a sturdy root system and will direct energy to leaf production when it's ready.
The arrows are pointing to microscopic leaves. This Rose of Sharon is apparently alive but its growth rate is definitely not as good as its brothers and sisters. [Click on the photo for an enlargement. Sorry for the blur. The growths are sooooo tiny!]
Two more plants have been added to the landscape, a red stemmed dogwood to add a bit of winter color and a Tuscarora crape myrtle outside my office and studio, which will have coral colored blossoms. Mini update: the three paulownia trees are growing well. Photos to come.

4 comments:

  1. Everything's comming along nicely Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Now, if I can only keep up ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend in Missouri will send your edger tomorrow. Promise. Wish I could bring it in person and help with that weeding. Yard looks good, Kathie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, dear friend. I wish you could bring it in person, too! I wouldn't even keep you to your promise to weed. :)

    ReplyDelete