Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dragonflies for the Garden

On May 17, 2009, my friend Norma Jeane and I took a class at Powell Gardens in which we each made two dragonflies out of old insulators, metal rods, and sheet metal. The instructor supplied aluminum for the wings, but NJ and I raided her husband Charles's stash of copper, so ours were special. This photo of the finished dragonflies is from the Powell Gardens website. I haven't take a photo of our efforts yet.


Here's NJ straightening up the insulator so the body will be properly aligned. The wing patterns and copper are on the table, along with the glitter that was added to the resin fo give the tail some sparkle.

There was a variety of stamps available, including an entire alphabet. It was interesting to see how people used them. I made one set of wings using only Us, overlapping them like scales. Some people hammered the whole surface and some just made lines of shapes. They all looked fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment