Tuesday, June 2, 2009

General progress

These photos were taken June 1, 2009. Many of the plants from the Powell Gardens plant sale and the Sedalia Master Gardeners sale have been planted. The hosta behind and to the right of the statue was transplanted from its spot by the screened porch. All of the hostas there need thinning.


Outside the front fence there is about 18 inches of plantable space. At the Master Gardeners sale I bought several varieties of daylilies, lariope, and three iris roots for $17. They now stretch along 65 feet of fence. Of course I got the daylilies mixed up, so it will be fun to see what colors appear. I put the two clumps of ornamental grass from NJ at either end.
The clods of dirt I dug out of the front were distributed in low spots all over the yard. Some of them ended up by the pink dogwood, where a former owner's dog had done some serious digging.
The next mini project is a bed for gladiolus bulbs I bought on sale. I think this SW corner will be nice for them. It needs to be dug up and some of the dirt distributed elsewhere to lower the corner a bit so that dirt doesn't wash under the fence and on to the brick sidewalk nor does it run toward the house and contribute to basement leakage.

I started on it this morning but got sidetracked. More photos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment