Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

We've had temperatures in the mid to upper 90s for the past week or more. Not much happening in the garden beyond weeding. Tomorrow's forecast is for a high in the low to mid 80s, which is super, as I bought several plants at a local nursery's end-of-season 50% off sale yesterday. And today NJ and I are going to Lilywood Farms (motto: Daylilies for the Distinctive Garden). They have some beautiful varieties, and they're having a sale this weekend.

I wandered around the yard this morning and took some random shots. There was once a low berm on the other side of the sidewalk running parallel to the front of the house that let rainwater run down to the foundation. After weeks of digging a bit at a time and wrestling out many dogwood roots, it is pretty well flattened. You can barely make out the dirt in the shadow. The dirt in the foreground will receive many of the plants bought yesterday. The yellow arrow indicates the butterfly bush that was but a twig several weeks ago. It now has some leaves.

Lloyd likes cacti. He has them planted in several saucers. We couldn't figure out where to put them. I suggested he put them alongside the drystacked brick wall and use some of the extra bricks to raise them up a bit. With the concrete patio as a base, they won't get muddied when it rains. I was thinking maybe a couple of bricks under each pot, but he got carried away. Here is Mount Cactus!
Last week I planted a bunch of nasturtium seeds for some quick and easy greenery and color. One of them is yellow! It seems to have a minimal amount of chlorophyll, but it keeps on growing. When I first spotted it, I thought it was dying, but since then it has produced more leaves. I'll be keeping an eye on this one! [This photo was taken at 7:30 am. By the time I got home at 4:30 pm, this little guy was toast. RIP, little fella.]
Here are the plants purchased yesterday. I moved them out of the sun right after I took the photo. The lattice was delivered yesterday. The tan will go on the fence to support vines. The white will be cut to fill in the openings in the white railing behind the plants. The railing protects the outside steps down to the basement, and the stairwell fills with leaves every fall. I'm hoping the lattice will keep most of the leaves from blowing in, and it will look nice, too. Behind the wagon is a new bottle of Weed B Gone. I'm going to use it to attack an evil vine growing along the back fence. It seems impervious to RoundUp, in fact it seems to gain strength from it. I'm hoping the 2,4D in the WBG will do it in.

The caladiums are finally up. I planted four of them. They were in a mixed bag. Two seem to be the pink/green variety. Not sure what the black one (arrow) will be. Look at how healthy those little weeds are.

Here's a long shot of the north fence. It is along this fence that many of the daylilies will go, with the exception of the section with the X. One of the lattices will go there to hold a fragrant clematis. It's just a few feet from the screened porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment